Traditionally work with young men has been about keeping young men out of trouble, distraction and deflection from the streets. Increasing evidence that this type of provision was not meeting the developmental needs of young men led the agency to explore new and more imaginative approaches to working young men. YouthAction Northern Ireland has engaged young men.
The Work with Young Men Unit works strategically with young men and community organisations to:
- Gain a better understanding of masculinity and its impact on young men
- Carry out research and pilot projects on areas of specific relevance to young men’s lives i.e. violence, mental and emotional well being
- Create opportunities for young men to have their voices heard
- Work in partnership with locally based initiatives
- Increase relevant knowledge and skills amongst those who are developing work with young men
- Inform policy makers and curriculum on issues affecting young men