Area Based Youth Work Strategy
- The purpose of an Area Based Youth Work Strategy is to develop a youth work plan in a specific geographical location (mostly alongside local council districts) based on needs assessment with young people and local partners working with young people.
- We have been investing in an Area Based Youth Work Strategy in the Newry, Mourne and Down (formerly Armagh) since 2003. This approach comprises a strategic partnership between a range of youth work providers in the local district area who meet to share, collaborate, monitor, and celebrate the contribution of young people and youth work approaches across the area.
- The current Newry, Mourne and Down Youth Work Plan (2014-2016) have identified 5 core youth work priorities based on needs identified by young people. These are:
- Young people have improved mental health and well-being
- Young people have more spaces to meet and develop their interests
- Young people value difference
- Young people have increased leadership and participation
- Young people have improved employment and training
- Youth Work Charter: Young people across the area have developed a Youth Work Charter in which they have prioritised some core functions and expectations for youth work. These include:
- A good educational fun experience;
- To meet people they would normally meet;
- To learn new skills;
- To become more involved in the local community;
- To be respected.